Real Estate Forums

Start a Discussion
Not logged in
Back

Single Family Homes- Are they a good vacation rental investment?

Erica Muller Orlando, FL

November 13, 2018

Would love your thoughts on buying a single family home to use as a vacation rental investment. 

In my market (Orlando Disney area), 5+ bedroom single family homes seem to be the income machines. There's more to that formula but that's the base of it. 

What's your market like? 

Comments

Matt M. , CA

Dec 13 2018, 03:05 PM

I love SF Homes for STR rental investments!! As long as there is no HOA of any kind attached to it and the neighborhood is STR friendly. I usually go knock on neighbor doors and talk tot hem prior to helping someone acquire a home for STR purposes as it can be quite sticky if the municipality technically allows it but the neighbors are sour on the idea. Often times, I eventually work with them to help them get their own space setup on Airbnb.

My closest market in Tijuana has surged in listings and competition is fierce! My sleeper market in Tecate has also exploded and I helped many new hosts get up and running.

I'm currently exploring a couple of sleeper markets in Southern California for luxury rentals. I'll keep the group updated here.

Matt Malouf

Author-Adventurepreneur

heather b. Huntsville, ON

Nov 17 2018, 12:54 PM

Great discussion point. Our market in Ontario is given the overarching designation of 'Cottage Country'.  However it encompasses at least 8 more diverse regions, each with its own attraction for inbound travelers.  In some areas the better investment may be in a condo, while others the sweet spot is a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom home.  Larger properties can achieve great occupancy in the summer months for big groups, but sit empty for the rest of the year.  Seasonality is the biggest issue to focus on as we have such a range of climate from searing heat in summer to arctic cold in winter that anyone considering an investment has to take many factors into account.  Understanding the inbound demographic is a also a major part of deciding on the type of property to invest in.  

Any analysis of a potential vacation rental market has to be micro-localised when considering inbound travelers.  An urban neighbourhood 

jon j. Brighton, VIC

Oct 23 2019, 08:37 AM

The situation varies from country to country. Here is an interesting take on it 

https://propertyupdate.com.au/ten-reasons-you-shouldnt-invest-in-residential-property/

omar k. Karachi, SD

Dec 04 2019, 10:53 AM

It is a nice thought of buying a house for a family in terms on investment. It could be a summer house or vacation retreat as per needed. 

The market varies from region to region which can be considered accordingly

For instance in the Pakistan market one can get a better idea at any online Real Estate website such as http://www.jagahonline.com/

dennis s. Tacoma, WA

Dec 09 2019, 07:28 PM

Omar, are you in Florida or the Florida Area? I am looking there as well for a existing STR or a property to start as a Short Term Rental. Dennis Smith