Real Estate Forums

Start a Discussion
Not logged in
Back

Wating For The Crash?

David Golshan Los Angeles, CA

December 7, 2018

I am gearing up to buy my first multi family apartment for the purpose of short term rentals. Anybody else waiting for the real estate market to crash as an opportunity to buy?

Comments

Erica M. Orlando, FL

Dec 09 2018, 01:31 AM

Yes!! Me!! I was just talking about this today. I am unloading all my flips, not buying anything over 250K that I can't unload quickly and only maxing out 50% of my liquidity until things shift. Vacation rentals are usually more long term holds so I don't think there's too big an issue with buying those but for those of us who flip, now is not the time to be holding a lot of inventory.

Matt M. , CA

Dec 10 2018, 01:03 AM

I'm waiting. We're overdue for a good correction and soon!

Cyndee H. Madeira Beach, FL

Jan 28 2019, 11:25 PM

David,

It will be interesting to see what happens. I am not anticipating a crash in our income producing vacation rental properties because the numbers work at the price they are selling at and until hotels start lowering their nightly rent rates the rates are in line with the market. That being said - any property where the numbers don't work would be ripe for a "reassessment" on what a willing buyer should pay - however that's more about rental rates and the numbers than real estate valuations dropping. I have found that temporary situations like an assessment that shakes some sellers out who can't cover it can be good for buyers like yourself waiting in the wings. :D Wishing you all the best and let us know how you make out when you find what you're looking for. 

Matt M. , CA

Feb 05 2019, 04:24 PM

Historically in "crashes" it's the middle that gets squeezed out the hardest. If you specialize in ultra high end or affordable accommodations, statistically you will fare better. I specialize in Bolt-Hole type properties overseas that can be bought and renovated all in for less than USD$25,000, however there are other significant challenges to that model but I enjoy it and am passionate about having a sustainable business that has meaning, so people who already have little won't hurt when there is less. The true meaning of community.

Matt Malouf

Author-Adventurepreneur