Real Estate Forums

Start a Discussion
Not logged in
Back

State of the state: California short-term rental laws

Maureen Salahshoor Denver, CO

November 30, 2023

In this series of State of the State blog posts, we offer an overview of the short-term rental (STR) lodging tax obligations for certain states, along with the latest rules on STR operations.

The Golden State offers a prime locale for short-term rentals, with tourist destinations that range from iconic beaches and desert enclaves to wine country, ski resorts, and famous wilderness areas.

Generally, the state government leaves it up to local authorities to set rules for short-term rentals, and that applies to lodging taxes as well.

Short-term rental lodging taxes

California doesn’t have a statewide lodging tax (although that may not be the case forever). However, California law allows cities and counties to levy transient occupancy tax (TOT) on accommodations that are rented out for 30 days or less — and many of them do.

Tax registration and filing

California short-term rental operators may be required to register with local tax authorities, collect TOT from guests, and file TOT returns. The exact requirements are specific to each city or county.

Tax collection by short-term rental marketplaces

Some vacation rental marketplaces, such as Airbnb and Vrbo, collect local TOT on behalf of operators when the listing is booked. However, marketplaces don’t collect all lodging taxes in all locations, and operators are responsible for making sure they comply with lodging tax requirements.

Local short-term rental regulations

Debates about short-term rentals and how to regulate them have become high profile all over the country in recent years, and California is no exception. Local communities have been active in creating laws to govern the industry. Examples include:

·     Sonoma County revises STR rules

·     Santa Barbara beefs up enforcement

·     San Diego STR law finally goes into effect

📖 Read more

Comments

howdoijoin t. Abbeville, AL

Dec 23 2023, 08:13 AM

After many years of being an online Illuminati member with no benefits, I was not satisfied because I wanted to enhance my spiritual and financial growth. The Illuminati official website does not interest me anymore since it is simply an online signup application with just one's email, that is the end of it; no interview, no invitation and no real life initiation ceremony as it is done in the Bavarian Medieval Illuminati Portal. And I was facing disappointment while trying to find and join the Bavarian Illuminati, the New World Order. However, I finally found the Bavarian Illuminati portal by a friend who told me about this website. All thanks to Prof Wormwood for his kind approach during my recruitment process. Seven months ago, I came across an email on a website in which the context was an article about the Bavarian Illuminati membership application procedures. I contacted the email, illuminati.am@aol.com and I got some forms and directives from the email, some days later I received an email in which i was told that i am accepted and a secret email was given to me by the above email asking me to proceed application with the secret email address, which I can not disclose to anyone, and was told never to share it to the public. The email gave me directives that led me to get in touch with Prof Wormwood as my RECRUITMENT Master. At this point I was very excited and confident that I was in the right place because the procedure was very discreet and calculative, and indeed I was in the right place. I was on a secret chat platform with Prof Wormwood, my recruitment master, i obtained and completed some secret forms he gave me, and I paid my enrollment levy; I completed the whole steps. After six days , the secret email gave me a private address where i can meet some members who will then take me away for the interviews and rituals; i did as i was instructed by the email,i called the line and immediately they knew it was me, she called my name; the person who picked up the phone was a lady, she asked me to meet them at a specific hotel, and eventually i met them and i was taken to an undisclosed area with my eyes tired, i can not give some information here. In the long-run I was initiated twice, first in the US, and the second in Germany. All of these activities were secret movements, that i had to tell a lie to my family that i was traveling for a job interview . I was glad to see that I finally found my place among the Elites, I made it in the end. Am also grateful that the application was not among the rejected and neglected requests. I Just want to say that the Illuminati exist whether you believe it or not; they are among us in every institution of life. I would keep giving this testimony in order to help serious Illuminati aspirants who are hungry for the Illuminati real life membership.