Real Estate Forums

Start a Discussion
Not logged in
Back

The Smoky Mountain (Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge) Market

Avery Carl Gatlinburg, TN

June 6, 2019

Kicking off the Gatlinburg – Pigeon Forge (Smoky Mountain) discussion!

I own 5 vacation rentals in the Smoky Mountains, and have connected investors with hundreds of cabin investments over the past few years. This is a fantastic vacation rental market for a number of reasons:

1. CASH FLOW. 20-40% cash on cash return is easily attainable here.

2. 12 million visitors a year visit the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, making it the most visited National Park in the country by double (The Grand Canyon gets 6 million).

1. 3. We have very little hotel presence. So the vast majority of those 12 million visitors stay in vacation rental cabins, and always have since this area became a tourist destination in the 70’s.
  3. 4. Very friendly (read: no) short-term rental regulations. Tourism is the only industry here, and the tourism in this area is so dependent on short-term rentals, it would be incredibly detrimental to the local economy for the city/county to ever impose any sort of legislation against them.
  5. 5. Prices and low property taxes. The market is high everywhere at the moment, but prices in East Tennessee are significantly lower than other major vacation rental markets, and property taxes are under $2000 a year for a $500k property. Under $1000 for a $250k property.

A few cons would be that it can be difficult to find good local help such as cleaners and handymen if you aren’t plugged in to the network. Many local vendors aren’t tech savvy and don’t have a web presence, so they can be hard to find on your own. Your agent should be able to supply you with a list of cleaners and handymen so that you can interview them. 

It’s very easy to be successful in this market. And the best part is you don't need a property manager, you can do everything right from your phone! There are many different types of investors from many different backgrounds that are successful in the Smokies.  You can be successful too if you ask the right questions, do your research, and pull the trigger!

Comments

fransisco a. Nashville, TN

Jun 08 2019, 01:43 PM

What price ranges offer the best ROI? I have a one bedroom at 2237 St. Moritz ct., that brought in 44k last year on Airbnb. State tax was taken out before that so the only other tax come out of that is the 3% city taxes. I'm thinking of selling it and upgrading to a bigger one. How much can I get for the for that place and is there an opportunity to upgrade and get better ROI? here's the Airbnb listing https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17765625

Avery C. Gatlinburg, TN

Jun 25 2019, 04:04 PM

Hi Alex! That is correct, the market is high right now. But with the popularity of investing in Airbnb-able properties rising, as well as short term rental regulations being imposed in many major metropolitan areas, it's not likely that vacation rental market prices are going to go down significantly anytime in the foreseeable future. There are still deals to be had, and no one can predict the market and when and if it will go down. Hope that helps!

Avery C. Gatlinburg, TN

Jun 08 2019, 01:51 PM

Hey @Fransisco a!  The ROI on cabins bumps up significantly at 4 bedrooms and up.  Right now an average 4 bedroom will be between $375k and $500k purchase price.  Looks like you got a pretty good deal on the one you have!

Jun 08 2019, 01:57 PM

If I were to sell it what you think would be a selling price?

Jun 08 2019, 02:01 PM

Also, I'm interested in something that I can add value to by fixing up. Is there opportunity for that in that bedroom range?

Avery C. Gatlinburg, TN

Jun 08 2019, 02:01 PM

@Fransisco a. will send you a message.

alex b. Knoxville, TN

Jun 25 2019, 04:01 PM

I have heard that the Smoky Mountain market is really high right now & that waiting is the best bet for a first time vacation rental purchase. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

alex b. Knoxville, TN

Jun 25 2019, 04:18 PM

That is helpful! Thank you Avery 

rachel g. Peachtree City, GA

Jul 24 2019, 01:39 AM

Very intriguing!