Real Estate Forums

Start a Discussion
Not logged in
Back

Need information on rental restrictions in California

heather bayer Huntsville, ON

November 18, 2018

I can see Vrolio is listing zones where there are regulations and restrictions and this is a great resource.  However, for a potential investor looking at building a custom vacation home in a micro-market - Murphy's, California for example, how should I go about beginning the research on this?

Comments

Matt M. , CA

Dec 10 2018, 01:38 AM

google search "City name+airbnb rules and regulations" 

then get on the phone with the planing department and then buildings and permits. 

After that you will have all you need to figure out if it's right for you!

Kate Y. Honolulu, HI

Jan 24 2019, 08:12 PM

This has always been my go-to for looking up regulations in new markets: https://www.useguestbook.com/short-term-rental-regulations/

Erica M. Orlando, FL

Dec 05 2018, 01:53 AM

Hi Heather! We are in the process of building our market analyzer tool as well as adding new features weekly. We don't yet have inventory in all markets as we are very new. Here are a couple places you can start: 

1. The forums are a great place to start with questions as many of our members are a wealth of knowledge. We have dedicated forums for market discussions. There's no better place to learn about the local markets than from local agents and owners themselves. 

2. Investment analyzer tool. Our investment analyzer tool allows you to analyze properties that you find anywhere on the internet. So if you didn't see any inventory on Vrolio, but found some on another site you can use our tools to analyze it. 

3. For markets we do have inventory in (inventory is growing every day), each property comes with its own profile and built in property analyzer tool. You can get a good idea on expenses, prices, cap rates, nightly rates etc by looking at the property profiles. 

We are working on a market analyzer tool that will allow you analyze market by market but we are still a few months out from launching this. 

Valerie V. Anaheim, CA

Dec 06 2018, 06:26 AM

As you know, every city is so different.  Even some cities who allow vacation rental (STR's) have specific restrictions regarding quiet hours, occupancy, trash, parking, etc.  Finding out if they are "allowed" isn't always enough.  One way is to call the City, keeping in mind that the person answering the phone may only give partial information (as with specific rules).

Alanna S. Larkspur, CA

Dec 10 2018, 02:22 PM

Heather, 

Are you moving to California?

Alanna

heather b. Huntsville, ON

Jan 24 2019, 12:47 AM

Just seen your reply Alanna!  No I am not moving to Cali but am working with a Canadian home builder who is interested in developing a market in custom vacation homes in micro markets.  Murphy's is just one of them