Real Estate Forums

Start a Discussion
Not logged in
Back

How do we find and select a Sellers agent that understands STR investment property

MARIAM ZINN Monroe, WA

February 1, 2019

Newbie Question, How do we find and select a Sellers agent that understands STR investment property Value based on current performance? Located near Seattle?

Comments

heather b. Huntsville, ON

Feb 01 2019, 04:17 PM

Hi Mariam

It's tough to find an agent who will accept current performance and future potential in terms of goodwill.  Start with building your sales package that shows the past 3 years of figures including all our fixed and variable expenses as well as future cashflow forecast.  Create a list of assets that incorporate bookings already in place along with any marketing assets - web site/social media profiles etc that can be included in the sale.  Use Twitter to find lists of agents in your area - you may find there are some who mention they have STR experience.  Contact property managers in the area too - they are often useful resources to find appropriate services.  Finally, connect with Debi Hertert who is on here at Vrolio.com/Debihertert.  She has sold one of her own properties in the Portland area recently and is the founder of Host To Host, a large network of STR owners.

Let us know how you get on.

Matt M. , CA

Feb 05 2019, 04:10 PM

I recommend interviewing any potential agent to represent you. Come up with 8-10 specific questions about their ability, training and experience relating to STR. Alot more agents are jumping on the bandwagon so to speak because their regular business is tanking and they are getting outdated in their own industry and don't even know it.

Matt Malouf

Author-Adventurepreneur

Erica M. Orlando, FL

Feb 01 2019, 03:47 PM

Hi Mariam! Great question! I always recommend people use a Certified Vacation Rental Agent since these agents are trained thoroughly in vacation rental sales and have gone the extra mile to get certified and commit to their ongoing vacation rental education. I or Heather Bayer can help you locate one as we are still working on getting the CVRA directory up here in the member search tool but we have a large network of vacation rental agents that are CVRA certified.  I see you're in Washington State. I would also recommend you reach out to Darik (vrolio.com/DarikEaton) as he is immersed in vacation rentals and recently sold his VR in Seattle there. 

Unfortunately, less than 1% of real estate agents specialize in this type of sale so it does make it challenging for seller's to locate someone. We're hoping the CVRA network will change that and bridge the education gap for agents and give owner's a more reliable pool of agents to work with on these transactions. 

Kindest Regards, 

Erica Muller
Vrolio, Founder & CEO

"Buy land, they’re not making it anymore.” - Mark Twain

Darik E. Seattle, WA

Feb 01 2019, 03:59 PM

Hi Marium! Ive worked hard to educate some realtors myself before the CVRE program started. I’m not sure if there are any agents here yet, but I would recommend putting together your numbers ahead of time before speaking to an agent to “defend” the value especially in this current market where prices are sliding. 

darren l. Dallas, TX

Aug 18 2019, 02:08 PM

Is there a list of CVRA agents available? I'm looking in the Texas hill country and San Antonio. 

Matt M. , CA

Nov 20 2019, 05:56 PM

How's your sale going?

Matt Malouf

Author-Adventurepreneur