Real Estate Forums

Start a Discussion
Not logged in
Back

Does regular homeowner's insurance include vacation rental liability?

Erica Muller Orlando, FL

November 14, 2018

Traditional homeowner's insurance policies do not include liability insurance and protect you from any rental liability. Owners need to get an insurance rider to their regular policy. 

Comments

Alanna S. Larkspur, CA

Nov 14 2018, 09:03 PM

I use Proper Insurance at my vacation rental and I have been super happy with the coverage. Their policy was created specifically for VR owners.

Tyann M. Saint Louis, MO

Nov 17 2018, 05:01 AM

I also use Proper Insurance for all of my properties. I like that they now have bed bug coverage, too. Yes, they are usually the more expensive insurance, but their coverage is outstanding, including the liability and loss of business coverage.

heather b. Huntsville, ON

Nov 17 2018, 01:04 PM

When looking for insurance ask about business interruption clauses.  This is a commonly misunderstood part of the policy.  Ask if you will be covered for loss of income if circumstances arise that you have to cancel bookings, or are unable to market periods due to natural disasters.  Darren Pettyjohn from Proper Insurance talks about all aspects of short-term rental insurance in this podcast episode:  https://www.cottageblogger.com/vrs196-vacation-rental-insurance-explained-with-darren-pettyjohn/

Matt M. , CA

Feb 05 2019, 04:32 PM

I use Proper Insurance to reduce liability. I also have business insurance and a personal umbrella policy as well. This covers all the bases

Matt Malouf

Author-Adventurepreneur

Kate Y. Honolulu, HI

Oct 29 2019, 04:50 PM

Property Protect offers affordable Homeowners policies that allow for STR activity, also giving you commercial liability coverage. The last thing you want is to be reactive when a guest incident occurs and come to find you don't have the proper coverage. Here's a recent podcast I did recently Are You Covered If A Vacation Rental Guest Makes A Liability Claim? https://lnkd.in/gcCzdQX.

Additionally, if you are living in your home and seasonally renting it out, you want to make sure you have an extra layer of damage coverage so you can avoid multiple clue report hits on your primary policy. 

**DO NOT RELY ON BOOKING CHANNELS FOR INSURANCE**

Property Protect offers multiple policy options for STR, LTR and RE Investors. Happy to help navigate what coverage you might need. Feel free to DM me anytime.